The world is only origami because there's time for everything except the things worth doing. If I spend all my time concerned with the problems of the world I might end up going insane and start having an appreciation of Andy Warhol's art. (Bad jokes aside) I think that the best path for me to take is a simple one fold at a time. One day I will make something, what, who knows, for now, left corner to right.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Not all who wander are lost

The lost generation claim power from being a people who are lost. They claim that the great tragedy that was WW1 made them loss faith. "God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him." During the time the people lost faith both politically and spiritually. This period in time shows a time where people rebelled against the culture before the war and started to try and create there own way of life. This is America is called the roaring twenties. By creating there own way of life and leaving the old way behind, I believe that they were not lost per-say but wandering and creating they own culture.

4 comments:

  1. What an interesting post, AJ. I commend you on your efforts. My attention was drawn to your blog because of your title, "not all who wander are lost." This is one of my favorite quotes. So I read your post, and I agree to some extent; I think that they were indeed creating their own culture and breaking away from the norm, but I do think this was because they were somewhat "lost." They'd lost their belief in God, their belief in humanity, their faith in a lot of things. But it's human nature to believe in something, so they created their own culture to believe in, so they didn't feel so lost. This is my opinion...I hope it makes sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maddi you and I have the same idea. I think that I just did not articulate it enough. Also do not worry it made sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I wrote about the same thing, even though I really tried not to... Anyway, to some extend I agree with you (and Maddi) but I think a critical part of the lost generation was their fear of being defined by WWI, and they were being, and combined with their loss of "God"... actually I do agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you said this was a "period in time where people rebelled against the culture before the war and started to try and create there own way of life" I think you bring up a very valid point- remember that women gained the right to vote with the 19th Amendment in 1919- so they definitely were able to discard the traditional roles from before the war with their new place in society. So in that sense, I agree that they were not lost, but like you said, creating a new culture. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete